A cracked tooth can appear out of nowhere, from something as common as biting down on a piece of ice. When damage does occur, what should you do?

Call an endodontist.

Endodontists deal with the inside of your tooth, preventing and treating infection in the roots and pulp of your tooth. They like to think of themselves as specialists in saving teeth.  

So why not see your general dentist?

Not every dentist has the training and experience in diagnosing and treating tooth pain and infection that an endodontist has. In fact, less than three percent of dentists are endodontists, and Endodontics is one of only eight specialties recognized by the American Dental Association. To receive this designation, an endodontist must complete at least two years of further education.

But isn’t a root canal just for abscesses?

Not necessarily. You see, when tooth enamel is damaged, the risk for infection inside the tooth skyrockets. You absolutely do not want an infection in the pulp or roots of your tooth. These infections are not only painful, they are also dangerous. So dangerous, that before root canals, people often died from abscesses in their teeth! Root canals and other endodontic treatments can help PREVENT those nasty abscesses from ever happening.